Friday, February 4, 2011

Ann Arbor Municipal Airport

I decided to lump two assignments together in the next two posts. The assignments for today and yesterday were to look upward today. Make a photograph with a low horizon and that emphasizes the sky. Also, I was to create a photo today that gives a sense of depth or dimension.

So my first subject was the Ann Arbor Municipal Airport. It's not a particular special airport, as its not one of the oldest in the state or largest but it has a charm all of its own. It's not particularly large and it serves mostly general aviation. Its beginning traces back to just World War I as barnstormers used the level field for their landings and what not.

The original terminal was constructed in 1935 using money from Roosevelt's New Deal money. It fell into disrepair as a better terminal was built elsewhere on the airfield. Eventually it was restored by the EAA of Ann Arbor and used by them. I didn't take pictures of it though.

My first picture was not an attempt to fulfill either part of the assignments as I just wanted a picture of the plane. I believe this plane is a King Air.

This was a plane flying by the airport. I thought he was going to come in for a landing. I guess this kind of fulfills the first part of the assignment by looking up in the sky but I think I needed some horizon in the shot.

Another shot of the first plane.

A shot of the Control Tower and the new terminal building. The Control Tower is manned.

A shot of another plane but I'm not sure what kind it is.

This was my attempt for a low horizon. I kind of like the shot because the plane looks like it wants to take off into the air...Well not really as I think I've seen this plane in the same spot for the last 5 years or so.

I think this fulfills both assignments because it shows a low horizon and lots of depth.

Same with this shot. The nice thing about airports is that there is alot of wide open space.

1 comment:

Christopher List said...

I think that last captures the assignment best and is, in my opinion, the best one.