Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Starkweather Hall

Since I was taking a brief hiatus from my camera, I wasn't doing my assignments from the Photo Site. So this is from yesterday. Make a photograph of something old. Be sure to show us the character that age can give a subject.

To that end, I decided to choose the oldest building on Eastern Michigan's campus, Starkweather Hall.

Starkweather Hall was built in 1897 as a place for the Student Christian Association. It is named after Mary Anne Starkweather who donated $10,000 towards its construction.

It was used for classrooms, housing and just about anything else you could think of.

In 1961, it was renovated to add handicapped access. In 1976, it was redecorated after it was transferred directly to the university. In 1990, it was painted.

It now holds the office of Graduate Studies.

No comments: